Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day ... A National Day for Hate.

I'm just disgusted by this. All the reports of packed restaurants, lines around the building, traffic jams. Some are there to support Free Speech and some are there to protest same sex marriage. But what it boils down to is hate. And it just makes me sad.

I'm a hetero, but I'm pro-happy, as in whatever makes you happy, go for it. And I don't think anyone should stand in the way of that. I'm also a Christian. And I am so sick to death of people hiding behind "their" interpretation of the Bible. The God I know is a loving God. And likely doesn't care at all about a chicken sandwich. But this Dan Cathy says that
"we're inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage. And I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude that thinks we have the audacity to redefine what marriage is all about."
I don't remember a government handing out marriage licenses in the Old Testament. I can't say I know much about the marriage debate, but isn't a big portion of it so that same-sex couples can receive the same benefits as married couples? And let's not forget the track record that man and woman unions have going for them. Why isn't he attacking them for getting divorced? But oh wait ... he is. He says
"We are very much supportive of family -- the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives."
So he's also against divorce. Well what about the woman who married young only to find her new husband is a wife beater. Or that Man married the trophy wife, only to learn that she's been sleeping with his entire office. Or visa versa. I just don't think the God that loves me, would want me to stay in an unhealthy and unhappy situation like that.

I didn't even hear about this Appreciation Day until last night. But I knew I was not going anywhere near Chick-Fil-A today. And likely will not be back there again. And then I read articles about the poor people that work there (some even gay) that are being subjected to ignorant homophobes congratulating them on "hating faggots." Can you imagine yourself as a gay person being told that? I just hate this. These employees were just looking for a job, and it's unfortunate that they have someone like Dan Cathy running the corporation they work for. His words are directly responsible for what happens to his employees. And he should have thought about that.

I'm done with Chick-Fil-A. There are plenty of other establishments that would welcome my dollar whether I had gills and purple skin, or if I was just a normal human. I think I'll go there instead. The only time I ever really got a craving for Chick-Fil-A anyway was on a Sunday.

I won't even get started on the Politician that was fueling this movement.